Harty Realty Group helps homebuyers find their dream homes in Chicago, the North Shore area, and the Northwest Suburbs! Therefore, we’re here to fill you in on exciting happenings in these three areas. Today, we’d like to focus on Arlington International Racecourse, because Opening Day is coming up on May 5.
Arlington International is a race track for Thoroughbred horse racing, located in the Northwest Suburb of Arlington Heights, IL. It also hosts numerous community events each season, and the dining and drinking options are plentiful!
Thoroughbred racing began here in 1927. In 1981, Arlington played host to the world’s first million dollar race, The Arlington Million, which still takes place each year. It continues to thrive as an attraction that brings thousands to Arlington Heights each year.
1. Opening Day starts things off for the 2017 season at Arlington International, with free general admission when tickets are bought online, and a free hot dog and $1 beer to the first 2,000 guests through the admission gates. There will be a live DJ on the Miller Lite Brand Stage from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Enjoy live racing, entertainment, food, beverages and great company all day.
2. Kentucky Derby Day takes place on May 6. If you can’t make it to the live event, where better to spend the day than Arlington? Tickets include food and beverage specials, such as Mint Juleps, the official drink of the Derby, spicy bourbon glazed pulled pork sandwiches and boiled crawfish. Enjoy a live band from 1 to 5 p.m., an open hat contest and more.
3. Binny’s Food & Wine Festival is the place to be for wine lovers. This takes place on May 13 and allows you to sample wines from all over the world, categorized by location and famous horses who have visited Arlington from different countries. Ticket includes three hours of wine tasting, reserved seating for live racing, appetizers, chef’s table, live entertainment and more.
4. Arlington will celebrate its 90th Birthday on May 19! Help celebrate with $.90 hot dogs, party hats and cake. Enjoy live racing and entertainment. It’ll be the largest birthday bash you’ve attended!
5. State Fair Family Day is the perfect day to bring the whole family to Arlington. On May 28, enjoy amusement park rides and games, pony rides, a petting zoo, a live kids’ concert, food and beverage specials that kids will love, and the Junior Jockey Zone, where kids will create their own silks. If you can’t make this date, this will continue all season on the last Sunday of each month.
Live racing and special events will continue all season, through Sept. 23, including the beloved Arlington Million on Aug. 12. This is a great place for singles, couples, families, groups of friends, coworkers, you name it! Branch out and enjoy a day at Arlington International this season.